(meteorobs) Observations from Oregon, 10/22

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Fri Oct 23 01:06:44 EDT 2009

I set my alarm a couple of times Thursday morning, and woke up to clouds
each time. Finally, at 3:40am, the clouds seemed to be lifting. I dragged
myself out to a retreating cloud bank and began observing at 4:00 (11:00
UT). I saw a couple of Orionids and an Epsilon Geminid as I was setting up.
Meteor activity was decent, and skies were clear (if a bit moist) except for
a few clouds at the beginning and end of my watch. Limiting magnitude
hovered around 6.5, a couple of tenths worse than a normal morning here.

I observed for 1.67 hours Teff, and saw 70 meteors. Of these, 44 were
Orionids for a fairly normal show. The Epsilon Geminids and Leo Minorids
each put in 4 meteors, and each Taurid radiant kicked in 2.

Mean magnitudes:
ORI: 2.1
Spo: 2.1!
EGE: 3.2
LMI: 2.5
NTA: 0
STA: 4

The morning was fireball-free, but there was a -2 Orionid and a -1
sporadic/South Apex that was impressive for the way that it shot through the
center of my field. Even more impressive were a very slow reddish Taurid of
magnitude 0, and a point Orionid that lasted for several seconds.

I would have observed for 15-20 additional minutes, but the clouds came back
and ended my watch.

Numbers have been reported via the IMO form.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

--