[Meteorobs] Observation August 11/12 2009

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 24 12:39:16 EDT 2009

Hello all,

Now I'm catching up on old observing reports! ;)  As it turned out,
August is a month that I won't soon forget... I had my best run of
Perseid meteor observing in many years!  It also made up for the
rather poor weather that plagued July.

Ivo Leupi and I had planned to stay up two entire nights to cover as
much of the Perseids as we could close to their maximum activity.
After a days of cloudiness, the sky finally started opening up on the
Tuesday evening August 11.  We had contemplated traveling for several
hours in a mad dash to get to clear skies (we even packed the cars
ahead of time for such a scenario).  Fortunately, the last weather
forecasts showed a clearing sky out in the west end by midnight at the
latest.  After several email exchanges, we decided to head to
Westmeath Lookout, a beautiful elevated rise located about 140km west
of Ottawa, and just east of Pembroke.  Since fog was a concern, the
elevation could be helpful.

I was the first to arrive at Westmeath Lookout, and I took my time
setting up.  I made several runs up and down the hill to bright all
the equipment (lawns chairs, sleeping bag, cameras and EQ mount,
etc...).  As I was doing so, I took a few minutes break to admire the
gorgeous sunset across a panoramic view of the Valley.  Wow!  Very
soon, Ivo and Shane Finnigan arrived and started to setup cameras and
another EQ mount.  A bit later on, we were joined by Chris Thuemen,
Ken Whitnall and Brigid.  Chris setup a small refractor to enjoy some
casual observing, while Ken and Brigid simply sat back on lawn chairs
to catch some Perseids.

Residual clouds plagued the early evening hours, but this was not
unexpected from the forecasts.  By 10:15pm EDT, the sky was clear and
dark enough to begin the camera exposures and a sign-on.  I observed
for 25 minutes while the Moon was yet to rise, counting 7 Perseids
despite a very low radiant.  Some of these first meteors were quite
long.  By 10:40pm, I was forced to stop observing formally due to a
deck of patchy clouds passing by.  We waited for over an hour for
these clouds to finally dissipate.  At 11:44pm, the sky was once again
completely clear, and would remain so for the rest of the night!  I
adjusted my "Moon blocker" umbrella to completely hide the glare of
the rising Quarter Moon, and I was surprised at how well I could
adjust to the semi-darkness.  It helped that we were blessed with good
transparency!  The sky limiting magnitude started at a very decent 5.73.

Without wasting any time, I got my two DSLR cameras going (a Canon 30D
and Rebel) while Ivo had his Canon Rebel XSi (all taking exposures on
top of my Vixen GPDX mount).  Then, I signed on to observe meteors.
For this night, I centered by field of view to the north, keeping as
much of the Moon's glare away as possible.  I counted only Perseids,
Kappa Cygnids and sporadics (due to other showers's radiants being too
far off of my field of view).  I was very curious to find out if the
predicted outburst would occur near dawn, due to Earth's passage in
the trail left by Swift-Tuttle in 1610.

The period between 11:44pm-12:45am EDT, with just over an hour's of
observing time, produced only low rates.  Despite the good sky
conditions, only 11 Perseids were seen.  But the radiant was still
fairly low, and the Moon was getting brighter.  At the end of this
hour, I took a 33 minutes break to attend my cameras.

I settled back for the next period, 1:18am-2:15am EDT, just under an
hour.  The limiting magnitude went down a bit to 5.5, due to the Moon
moving higher up.  The Perseids increased with 29 meteors.  A few
bright meteors were seen too; the best was a 30 degrees long Perseid
that flared to mag -2.  However, the Perseids seemed quite normal, and
maybe a bit below expectations.  There didn't seem to be anything
unusual going on... yet.  A light breeze picked up and fog patches
started developing all around us!  The Valley below us seemed totally
engulfed in fog (I was glad we had picked a high spot).  I took a 19
minutes break for a snack and to check my cameras.

The next observing round went from 2:34am-3:47am EDT, with exactly one
hour of observing time (had a bit of dead time during this period).
In this hour, the limiting magnitude dropped slightly to 5.45, but the
biggest pain was the thick fog surrounding us.  The horizons got
completely murky, and the Moon sure didn't help matters.  But
thankfully, the sky was still OK overhead.  Despite the fog, the
Perseids started getting interesting!  Activity seemed to improve by
3:00am with a Perseid coming every minute.  This further increased by
3:30am with some minutes of multiple Perseids!  I was trying to hold
my excitement, but I couldn't help but think that maybe the predicted
early morning outburst would come soon?  By the end of this period, I
had logged 40 Perseids! There was now just one hour of observing time
left before bright morning twilight.

At 3:49am EDT, it felt like someone had suddenly turned on a switch!
The Perseids increased in brightness without warning.  A bright and
long mag -3 Perseid with a 3 sec train went by, followed by nearly
simultaneous mag +1 and 0 meteors!  Less than a minute later, a vivid
mag -1 golden-yellow flew by near Cygnus, followed by a stunning mag
-4 fireball with an 8 sec train in Ursa Major, and another fainter
meteor right below!  Shane, Ivo and I were all cheering at the sudden
bursts, after a long night of relatively low activity.  The minutes
went by with more bright meteors, and another mag -4 fireball at
3:56am!  In the span of just 5 minutes (between 3:55am-4:00am), I
logged as many as 11 Perseids despite heavy fog surrounding us.  Was
this the outburst??  Or would it get even better soon???

After 4:00am EDT, the rates seemed to taper off rather sharply.  A
second "wave" of activity came between 4:10am-4:15am with 9 Perseids,
but with average brightness meteors.  For a while, the fog cleared up,
but it was becoming clear that we had witnessed a sharp rise of
meteors that lasted for just a few minutes.  I continued observing
deep into morning twilight, and I signed off at 4:50am.  At the end of
the final hour, I had logged 59 Perseids!  Ivo finished by taking a
number of beautiful pictures of the foggy scenery in morning light.
As soon as the Sun started warming up the air, mosquitoes came out in
full force.  Shane packed and took off, while Ivo and I wrapped
ourselves into our sleeping bags and slept through the morning.

SUMMARY:  On this night, I logged a total of 162 meteors (146
Perseids, 15 sporadics and 1 Kappa Cygnid).  The Perseids produced
four fireballs (two of mag -4 and two of mag -3), most of which
occurred near 4:00am EDT.  The average magnitude of Perseids was +2.06
(over half a mag brighter than the sporadic background).  All in all,
a night of relatively low to normal rates, but a sharp rise was
evident near the end (corresponding to Earth's encounter with the 1610
trail).

Now on to the second night :)

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 11/12 2009
BEGIN: 02:15 UT (22:15 EDT) END: 08:50 UT (04:50 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76.859 West; Lat: 45.793 North
Observing site: Westmeath Lookout (White Water Region), Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
KCG (Kappa Cygnids)______________________________18:56 +58
PER (Perseids)___________________________________02:56 +57
SPO (sporadics)
(other showers not watched)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff___F_______LM_____SPO__PER__KCG

02:15-02:40___18:29 +77___0.42___1.00____6.10____1____7___0
03:44-04:45___18:29 +77___1.02___1.00____5.73____1___11___0
05:18-06:15___21:06 +71___0.95___1.00____5.50____6___29___0
06:34-07:47___21:06 +71___1.00___1.00____5.45____5___40___1
07:47-08:50___23:21 +71___1.00___1.00____5.14____2___59___0

TOTALS:___________________4.39___________________15__146__1  =  162

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky), where 1.00 is exactly one hour. The column (LM)
is the average naked eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle
star counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for
each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-4__-3__-2__-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___0___0___0___0___1___1___4___6___2___1_____+2.67
PER___2___2___1___6__14__26__29__35__24___7_____+2.06
KCG___0___0___0___0___0___0___0___1___0___0_____+3.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 16 min (breaks)

Breaks (UT): 2:40-3:44, 4:45-5:18, 6:15-34, 6:41-49, 7:30-35, 8:30-33