[Meteorobs] Observation August 13/14 2009

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 24 12:45:03 EDT 2009

The weather continued to play nice, so I was out for a third night,
this time on my own at Bootland Farm, to cover the last two hours
before dawn.  The crescent Moon was up and bright, but the
transparency was excellent - allowing 6th mag stars to be visible near
the zenith.  There was a bit of ground fog, but nothing too serious.
For several minutes, I had the company of a bat that flew circles
around me, and it would sometimes silently skim just inches over my
head (in search of mosquitoes?)

I recorded a total of 37 meteors (30 of which were Perseids).  This
breaks down with 11 Perseids in the first hour and 19 in the second
one.  I did not watch for other showers, since my field of view to the
north kept my field of view too far away from those radiants.

The highlight was a mag -2 blue-green Perseid that ended with a
terminal flash and a 5 seconds persistent train.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 13/14 2009
BEGIN: 06:25 UT (02:25 EDT) END: 08:40 UT (04:40 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 45 23' North Elevation: 400 ft
Observing site: Bootland Farm, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
KCG (Kappa Cygnids)______________________________18:56 +58
PER (Perseids)___________________________________02:56 +57
SPO (sporadics)
(other showers not watched)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff___F_______LM_____SPO__PER__KCG

06:25-07:30___19:18 +73___1.08___1.00____6.18____2___11___0
07:34-08:40___20:31 +74___1.05___1.00____6.08____4___19___1

TOTALS:___________________2.13___________________6___30___1  =  37

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky), where 1.00 is exactly one hour. The column (LM)
is the average naked eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle
star counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for
each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-2__-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___0___0___0___2___1___1___2___0_____+2.50
PER___1___2___0___6___5___7___7___2_____+2.37
KCG___0___0___0___0___0___0___1___0_____+4.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 3 min (break)

Breaks (UT): 7:30-34, 8:03-06