[Meteorobs] Observation August 14/15 2009

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 24 12:49:29 EDT 2009

For the fourth night in a row, the weather continued to be stunning!
Despite my sleep patterns being thrown out of whack, I couldn't resist
heading out again to enjoy the night.  Besides, a heat wave was on its
way, and it looked like it would finally put an end to this long
stretch of clear, transparent nights.

I opted to avoid traveling too far, so I went to the Moosecreek site.
On my arrival, I was surprised to find over 18 cars, and people with
telescopes everywhere!  Scores of people approached letting me know of
a fantastic fireball that they had witnessed earlier in the evening.
It looked like an impromptu star party.  I spent some time chatting
with those present there, and I enjoyed the views in the scopes before
settling myself into "meteor observing mode" ;)

I signed on just before local midnight, and observed for almost 3
hours.  The Perseids were clearly declining with only 6 meteors seen
in nearly two hours.  The final hour improved with 15 members seen,
despite the rising crescent Moon causing my LM to drop a bit.  The
brightest meteor was a mag -1 yellow-orange Perseid that left a one
second train.  One of the sporadics seen might be a possible late
Alpha Capricornid.  Altogether, 41 meteors were recorded.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 14/15 2009
BEGIN: 03:50 UT (23:50 EDT) END: 07:05 UT (03:05 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North
Observing site: Moosecreek, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
KCG (Kappa Cygnids)______________________________18:56 +58
PER (Perseids)___________________________________02:56 +57
SPO (sporadics)
(other showers not watched)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff___F_______LM_____SPO__PER__KCG

03:50-04:34___00:13 +72___0.73___1.00____6.43____6____3___1
05:09-06:09___18:29 +77___1.00___1.00____5.98____6____3___0
06:09-07:05___20:08 +77___0.92___1.00____6.00____6___15___1

TOTALS:___________________2.65__________________18___21___2  =  41

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky), where 1.00 is exactly one hour. The column (LM)
is the average naked eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle
star counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for
each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___0___1___1___4___7___4___1_____+2.83
PER___1___3___1___3___6___6___1_____+2.52
KCG___0___0___1___0___1___0___0_____+2.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 1 min (break)

Breaks (UT): 4:34-5:09, 6:27-28