[Meteorobs] Observation August 17/18 2009

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 24 12:52:55 EDT 2009

I was back at Moosecreek on the following morning, for a short 2 hours
session.  Sky conditions were better, but still somewhat hazy around
the horizons.  The transparency overhead was average quality at best,
and some thin clouds were visible in the west - but these dissipated
away and did not present any problems.  The temperature was very
comfortable and mild with a south-westerly breeze - I was out in t-
shirt.

Rates looked quite normal, with 28 meteors recorded (11 Perseids, 14
sporadics, 1 Kappa Cygnid, 1 antihelion and 1 Delta Aquarid).

The single antihelion seen at 2:48am EDT was probably the best meteor
of the night, flaring at mag -1 with a deep blue color.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 17/18 2009
BEGIN: 05:05 UT (01:05 EDT) END: 07:15 UT (03:15 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North
Observing site: Moosecreek, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
KCG (Kappa Cygnids)______________________________19:00 +59
PER (Perseids)___________________________________03:28 +58
ANT (antihelions)________________________________22:24 -08
SDA (Delta Aquarids)_____________________________23:28 -12
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff___F______LM_____SPO_PER_KCG_ANT_SDA

05:05-06:09___22:20 +05___1.00___1.00___6.24____5___5___0___0___0
06:09-07:15___21:49 +12___1.06___1.00___6.33____9___6___1___1___1

TOTALS:___________________2.06_________________14__11___1___1___1  =  28

Notes: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky
where I centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) Teff is
simply the total time during the observing session spent actually
watching the sky. Breaks and/or dead time are not included in the
reported Teff. It is reported in decimal format such that a 60 minute
observing session would be reported as Teff = 1.00. The column F is a
correction when obstructions such as clouds block portions of the
field of view (1.00 = 100% clear skies). The column (LM) is the
average naked eye limiting magnitude seen.  All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.  For more
info, see: http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap2.html
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___1___0___2___2___5___3___1_____+2.64
PER___0___0___1___1___3___4___2_____+3.45
KCG___0___0___0___0___1___0___0_____+3.00
ANT___1___0___0___0___0___0___0_____-1.00
SDA___0___0___0___1___0___0___0_____+2.00

Notes: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 4 min (breaks) + 6.32 min (plots) = 10.32 min

Breaks (UT): 5:43-46, 6:51-52