[Meteorobs] Observation September 16/17 2009

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 24 13:02:55 EDT 2009

On this night, about 15 observers from Montreal and Ottawa met at the
La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve airstrip (about 225km north of Ottawa),
where we spent a wonderful full night of observing under the pristine
skies.  The sky conditions were very good, the seeing was especially
exceptional, and the company was most enjoyable.  I took in many sharp
high powered views of various deep sky objects with my 12.5" Dob (the
most memorable views among the many things observed were M13, Cat's
Eye nebula, Blinking nebula, North America and Veil nebula and
Jupiter... But the highlight for me was seeing M42's core seen at high
power in Allan Rahill's 28" Dob.  It was simply breathtaking!).  To
the naked eye, the gengenshein was visible.

I had planned to use the last two hours towards dawn for meteor
observing.  I was however only able to do one hour, due to increasing
ground fog.  During this hour, the limiting magnitude reached 6.8 at
the zenith and I was able to log a total of 17 meteors (see details
below).

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: September 16/17 2009
BEGIN: 06:50 UT (02:50 EDT) END: 08:08 UT (04:08 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 46 59' North
Observing site: Réserve Faunique La Verendrye, Québec, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
STA (South Taurids)______________________________00:38 +04
NUE (Nu Eridanids)_______________________________04:44 +03
SPE (September Perseids)_________________________04:40 +48
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff___F______LM_____SPO_STA_NUE_SPE

06:50-08:08___02:45 +10___1.00___1.00___6.75___14___1___0___2  =  17

Notes: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky
where I centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) Teff is
simply the total time during the observing session spent actually
watching the sky. Breaks and/or dead time are not included in the
reported Teff. It is reported in decimal format such that a 60 minute
observing session would be reported as Teff = 1.00. The column F is a
correction when obstructions such as clouds block portions of the
field of view (1.00 = 100% clear skies). The column (LM) is the
average naked eye limiting magnitude seen.  All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.  For more
info, see: http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap2.html
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___1___3___3___1___3___1___2_____+1.93
SPE___0___0___0___0___0___2___0_____+4.00
STA___0___0___0___0___0___0___1_____+5.00

Notes: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 12 min (break) + 5.81 min (plotting) = 17.81 min

Breaks (UT): 7:18-30