(meteorobs) [Meteorobs] ZHR Table

Vit M HEP at tut.by
Mon Oct 26 10:26:33 EDT 2009

Hi! You don't need a table -- there is a formula (see
http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap8.html):

"The zenithal hourly rate is a means by which different observers can convey
their results to each other. Of course, this is the ideal condition to
observe meteors under. However, conditions are not always perfect. To make
matters worse, the human factor is a variable that makes ZHR results less
precise. There are several methods to finding a ZHR. Some are more accurate
than others and are quite involved in calculations. Variables to consider
include clouds, limiting magnitudes, observing periods, the radiant's zenith
distance, geographical latitude of the observer, and the observer's own
perception. The following method does not take all of these variables into
account. But this method from Neil Bone's book, Meteors will serve our
purposes here as an introduction to the subject.

With:
HR = observed hourly rate; r = population index; LM = your average limiting
magnitude; and A = altitude of the shower's radiant above the horizon in
degrees

a) Formula with an LM above 6.5

       (HR) (r)^1-(LM - 6.5)
ZHR = ----------------------
              Sine A

b) Formula with an LM below 6.5

        (HR) (r)^6.5-LM
ZHR = -------------------
             Sine A

Example: Geminids with clear skies and no obstructions.

Assume:
HR = 57 meteors seen for 1 hour
r = population index for Geminids is 2.6
LM = average limiting magnitude for that hour is 5.7
A = the shower's radiant above the horizon for that hour is 60 degrees

        (HR) (r)6.5 - LM
ZHR = -----------------------
            Sine A

       (57) (2.6)6.5 - 5.7