(meteorobs) Announcement: The Meteorite Wiki

Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Wed Oct 28 17:28:52 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I normally stay pretty quiet on this list, but I would like to extend my
announcement to this list.

A long while ago I discussed an idea for a central meteorite website
with some community members about the creation of a central hub of
meteorite knowledge and information database in which everyone could
participate and contribute through a community of like minded
individuals. This of course would be for the furtherance of the science
and hobby of meteors, meteoritics, meteorite collecting, meteorite
hunting, and the meteorite industry as a whole.

A website that would provide an active and evolving database of
encyclopedic meteorite knowledge and information for the hobbiest,
scientist and even more so for the curious, as they are the new
meteorite enthusiasts and possible future meteoriticists and astronomers.

As the world learns more about meteorites, asteroids, comets, fireballs,
bolides, and the universe in relation to meteorites what better way to
grow this knowledge base than through the first and only meteorite
related wiki. For those of you who are unfamiliar with what a wiki is,
it's an online collaborative effort to compile information in a
community type environment.

Introducing The Meteorite Wiki: www.meteoritewiki.com

The Meteorite Wiki runs on the same software that runs the world famous
and beloved Wikipedia.org website, and is robust and feature rich enough
to provide the perfect venue to compile the worlds meteorite information
into one easy and convenient online database.

Mission Statement: To compile knowledge and share the enjoyment of
meteorite science & hobby through an open community wiki in which
everyone interested can participate & contribute to the growth of the
knowledge of meteorites.

Enjoy...

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA

P.S. Those interested in contributing or who would like more
information, you're welcome to respond to this thread publicly on-list
or privately via email. If you belong to a university or educational
institution we would love to have you contribute your articles, papers,
photos, video or other media to the inclusion in the Meteorite Wiki. We
have also reserved the most important website domain name as well for
the expansion of the Meteorite Wiki experiment, meteoritewiki.org. This
is to create a non-profit organization for the site should it be a
successful endeavor. For now though it will be under the .com extension.