(meteorobs) Meteor photography and fisheye lens advice please

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 30 17:39:45 EDT 2009

Hi Tom-

There's no answer to the question of optimal focal length. It simply comes
down to your imaging intent: how much of the sky do you want to cover? The
focal length will determine the FOV. Once you've settled on this, increasing
aperture increases sensitivity (or more indirectly, you'll want the fastest
lens you can afford or which you can rent). Many fisheye lenses introduce
distortion away from the center that can be severe for point sources (or, in
the case of meteors, line sources). The usual fix is to stop the lens down a
little, but that reduces sensitivity. It's a balancing act.

The ISO setting on DSLRs is largely bogus; the actual S/N is most images is
dependent on the number of photons you collect, and it doesn't matter how
much gain is applied. Most DSLRs are set up so that their best performance
is around ISO 400 (which might be considered unity gain); less than that you
are actually losing a bit of signal, more than that the signal and noise
increase together, so the gain is empty. If you have a chance to experiment,
try some sky shots at ISO 200, 400, and 800. Then compare the images for the
best S/N. Most likely for meteors you'll either be at ISO 400 or ISO 800.

For exposure time, the longer the exposure, the lower your sensitivity
(sounds backwards, but for meteors it is true, because the sky background
washes out the meteor trail). So you want to make your exposures as short as
possible, keeping in mind that you lose some exposure time between shots,
and if too short you risk truncating meteor events. I'd consider 10-15
second shots, taken continuously.

If it's cold, the battery life will be annoyingly short, so get an external
power adapter if you plan on shooting over many hours. Make sure you shoot
RAWs, of course.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory