(meteorobs) Meteor photography and fisheye lens advice please

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 30 18:03:29 EDT 2009

There are actually a few things to take into consideration.

Firstly, how efficient your camera/lens system is at capturing meteors.
The best way to tackle this issue is to download the software here that
you can input all your details, and it will tell you the relative
efficiency of the lenses you have:
http://www.analemma.de/english/download.html

Secondly, what are you trying to achieve? Because fish-eyes and wides
cover so much sky area, most meteors will appear very small, and lacking
an detail, although a fish-eye might be perfect for catching grazers.

A higher mm lens will capture more detail in the meteor, but you risk
either catching only part of it in the frame, or missing it altogether.
There is no ideal  single-camera solution for all situations, so you
need to weigh up the possibilities, and make a choice based on your
requirements.

If you want purely photogenic, and detailed photographs of meteors, the
ideal solution is to use multiple cameras with normal lenses
(35mm-50mm), and cover as much of the sky with them as possible. This is
what I do, and I will be using 5 DSLRs this year for the first time.

Leo