(meteorobs) Meteor photography and fisheye lens advice please

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Oct 31 00:28:45 EDT 2009

> I always thought that increasing the ISO would allow you to capture
> fainter meteors. Perhaps this is not the case after all then, and there
> is no need to lust after the latest DSLR's?

Increasing the gain beyond a certain point just equally amplifies the signal
and the noise, resulting in no net improvement of S/N. It can be useful
under certain situations, in particular where you need a short exposure
under dim conditions. But with long astronomical exposures, those very high
ISO settings are buying you nothing. You're still just counting photons, and
once the gain is such that every photon collected contributes to the output,
you've got all the information. Rather than thinking of the high ISO
settings as high gain, you would be better off thinking of the low settings
as low gain, useful when you have so much light you need to reduce
sensitivity.

> How about the sensor's pixel density/size? I would expect the cameras
> with larger pixels to be better for light gathering ability/meteor
> photography.

Not a big issue for meteor photography, because you don't typically fill the
available pixel well depth due to the short time the meteor actually spends
on a pixel (and fireballs will generally saturate any sensor). With CCDs,
and some CMOS sensors, larger pixels usually give greater dynamic range,
which is very useful for typical long exposure astroimaging, but that's not
what we're about with meteor imaging.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory