(meteorobs) Meteor Watching and Wild Animals

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 20:40:36 EDT 2009

>>The  heartbreaking death of young Canadian folksinger Taylor Mitchell
from an  extremely rare coyote attack this week makes me wonder what the risks
are  watching meteors, alone, at night, on a lawn chair (prone and two feet
off the  ground), in a remote area.  Are mountain lions, bears, wild dogs,
coyotes, etc. more likely to attack you in certain areas of the country
under  those circumstances?  Have any of you had (or heard of) incidents, and do
 you take precautions?  Recommendations?<<

Well...during my observing days in the 1990's, I use to keep alert for
mountain lions all the time. I personally had several close encounters with
them. I observed on top of my observatory that was about 15 feet above the
ground. They never went after me directly, but I think they would have if the
moment was right. My observatory was fenced inside a 2 acre field. During a
 two year period, two mountain lions killed my father in laws sheep in that
 enclosure. Each time the Fish and Game was called in to set traps and both
were  caught and shot. One was a 90 pounder and the other was a 135 pound
male. Both  had dragged their kill about 100 yards from the pen after some
how getting it  over the fence. My personal encounters were mostly seeing them
nearby just  before sunset as I set up my equipment. That usually made me
very alert and  uneasy. Another time I suspect a large cat fell out of a
large oak tree just  outside of the fence...about 50 feet away. Another time at
the end of a night of  observing, I was picking up an extension cord and
noticed the silhouette of a  large cat paralleling me as I did this about 30
feet away. It wasn't very big as  for mountain lions...estimated to be about
60 to 90 pounds in size. It ran off  as I quickly got into my truck to set it
out till day light. Usually I observed  with another person and seldom seen
any signs of lions during then.As for  coyotes...they were around, but
never gave me any trouble. I had more  trouble with my father in laws prized Ram
who would frequently chase me...day  and night when in the field. Once it
chased me around my truck several times  before I was able to jump in. The
ram (named Rambo) kept on trotting  around my truck about 2 more times before
realizing something was  amiss. Although my father in law loved this ram, I
sometimes wished it  would have a bad night with a hungry cat...but it
survived that fate. When Rambo  would chase me, a two by four to the forehead did
no good. But a spindly branch  swishing across the nose stung enuf to
freeze him in his tracks.  In  general, I recommend observing with another for
safety...even from bad people.
George Zay