(meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 7 15:31:41 EDT 2009

Leo S wrote:

>> impression remains the same, that this is trail material  being dispersed
>> by
>> winds after the meteor has  passed.<<
>>
>> I agree with Chris whole heartedly. :O)
>> GeoZay
>>

> I also think this is the cause. There are a few Leonid photos showing
> the same effect. taken in 2001, and it's only the bright ones that do this.
>
> Here's a couple of examples:
> http://www.ne.jp/asahi/stellar/scenes/leonids2001/review_e.htm
> http://www.astromax.org/leonid2001.htm
>
> Leo

Also this classic from Jerry Lodriguss:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/F_COMETS/LEONID1.HTM

who writes:

"The colors in the meteor's path come from different emissions as the
meteor burns up and interacts with molecules in the upper atmosphere.
After the meteor disappeared a persistent train was left behind which
appears as a twisting smoke trail to the left of the meteor."

Leo