(meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

prospector at znet.com prospector at znet.com
Mon Sep 7 19:52:24 EDT 2009

   It was very long, even after it started traveling away from me. It was a
going away pointer, or near pointer, sloooow, yet fast enough to cause
(electrical?) interaction with the atmosphere, dynamics we seldom see. It
went so far in the atmosphere that visually the length of the meteor was
foreshortened, so I could look up or nearly look up the length of the
meteor, much as if it were more directly traveling directly away from me.
That's the way I see that it happened, it was very nice. If the meteor was
75 miles away (120km), the spikes, which were 2-4 arc min. long, would be
230 to 460 feet long (70 to 140 meters) in the atmosphere. This should give
some scientists something to work with. I reported this some time in 1999 to
2001 to meteorobs. The spikes came out at right angles to the path of the
meteor, from the meteor.

                                      Dave English
                                  Oceanside, California

Quoting GeoZay at aol.com: