(meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 9 11:42:38 EDT 2009

Pat:
	I believe the comments left by Chris Peterson and Dr. Jiri Borovicka
are the correct ones.  A still image such as this one can be rather
misleading.  It would have been better if this image was obtained by
an image intensified video system.  You are only looking at the
brightest parts of the train as film is not sensitive enough to
capture the complete and fainter parts of the train.  You must
remember that a Leonid meteoroid is entering at 72 km/sec so the
change in altitude is considerable along the path.  It is too bad we
do not know the actual duration of this meteor.  As Jiri pointed out,
the trail is being distorted over 10s of seconds with winds changing
direction at different altitudes.  You can't really see this in a
still image.  Perhaps Peter Jennisken's NASA airborne mission team
has video images taken during their airborne missions that would show
what is taking place much better.
Ed Majden
Courtenay, B.C. Canada.