(meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 9 13:27:41 EDT 2009

The so-called ISO setting for digital cameras is pretty meaningless once you
are outside the normal sub-second exposure range. For longer exposures, you
are better off just considering the QE of the sensor, which while poor
compared with a good astronomical CCD camera is still at least 10 times
higher than film. And, as you note, there is no reciprocity failure.

I have two-minute Milky Way exposures made on film, and two-minute exposures
made with a DSLR, and the latter show _significantly_ deeper stars and
objects.

I think the video on the IMO site of an evolving dust trail gives a pretty
good indication of how that can proceed, and doesn't seem all that different
from what the still photo under discussion shows.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com