(meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 9 15:26:20 EDT 2009

The image was made on Oct 21, 2008. If the camera's clock was set correctly,
the time was 05:26, which is certainly very plausible for this particular
shower. Can this help much? I haven't found anything to suggest that
mesospheric wind speed and direction are monitored in any systematic way,
like lower altitude conditions are.

Point taken about the apparent angle of the debris. However, I went back and
carefully measured the flare lengths, and the longest is 2.2°. So given the
assumed height of 35 km, and assuming a typical angle of 45°, we're still at
a physical length of 4 km, which remains consistent with winds in the range
of 30 m/s.

While I agree the effect is odd, I don't know of an easy way to compare it
to what is normally observed in a rocket launch. In the image, we are seeing
an (up to) two-minute smear; in all the rocket launch images I've seen, and
similarly in those I've witnessed myself, we see a single snapshot of the
trail, not a time exposure. Also, this is on a different scale. When we see
rocket launch trails or the sort of persistent meteor trails that last many
minutes (and are bright enough to be visible to the eye), we see structure
that extends over many tens of kilometers. This is much less than that.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com