(meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

pat_branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 09:50:43 EDT 2009

I'm not sure the rotating meteor is important, it could still be ejecta or outgassing. My only problem with ejecta/outgassing is the 4km range. While I have not done any calculations and drag is small at that altitude you are talking about ejecta coming off at every fast velocities which mean large internal pressures. I'm thinking 5-6000 psi and I doubt most hot non-iron meteors would withstand more than 2-3000 psi before ejecting particles.

The problem I have with wind blown train, is the rest of the path is so smooth and undistrubed that it appears winds are very light. Also winds produce a bunching effect due to slowing of the leading edge, so you don't get the sharp pointed ends you get bullet looking ends. Wind shear at the 3 upwards areas followed by a downward shoot would mean a lot more spreading in the area between them.

I'm sure we have all formed our own opinions. I guess I'm going to make sure I have a few cameras and different angles (50-100 miles apart) for the Leonids! Any good suggestions on cameras? I've gotten good results with my film camera, but ready to try a DSLR (other than my little Pentac).