(meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

Robert Haas zoefff4dms at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 16:32:37 EDT 2009

like this setup

http://astrophoto.nl/delpsurf/main/haas_DVsystem.html

________________________________
From: Ed Majden <epmajden at shaw.ca>
To: Global Meteor Observing Forum <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:00:09 PM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Question on an interesting meteor -Enhanced Picture

Pat:
    As I pointed out before, a still image can be very misleading.  The
train remains behind the meteor, not along the photographed path a
time exposure produces. I don't buy this ejecta/outgassing or
tumbling theory proposed by Larry and some others. I assume your in
the USA so surplus image intensifiers are readily available to you.
There are export restrictions for other Countries and an export
permit is required.  Look on eBay for 25mm 2nd generation type Image
Intensifiers. You could also use a less expensive 18 mm intensifier.
Use a fast 35mm camera lens to image the input screen of the
intensifier and record the output screen with a b&w type security
cameras like a PC164.  Record the video on a VCR or view it on a
monitor.  You will see the development of a train and its distortion
by high altitude winds.  You can examine each frame if you use a vcr
and see this as it develops.  Professionals such as Bob Hawkes, Jiri
Borovicka, Peter Jenniskens, etc use intensifiers to study meteors
fainter that can be imaged with a film or ccd type camera.  They are
also used for spectroscopy of faint meteors.  I do this.
Ed Majden
Courtenay, B.C.
Canada