(meteorobs) Repost- Clear evidence for Meteoroidejecta/outgassing.

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Mon Sep 14 11:10:38 EDT 2009

Chris,

Good advice about improving one's processes, *but*...

> Certainly, there's nothing remotely scientific about "stick[ing] with
your
> beliefs" in the face of evidence to the contrary. That's pretty much the

> definition of pseudoscience.

Evidence can be a slippery thing. We had plenty of "evidence" that life
could spring spontaneously from nonliving matter, until Louis Pasteur took
your advice and created better tests.  Certainly take advantage of all the
wisdom and tools at your disposal, but don't be afraid to take a fresh
critical look at things either.

Pardon the butting-in; your point about saturation is important, but I'd
hate to see a potentially good idea squelched too soon.

Back to lurking now...

Peter

From: "Chris Peterson" <clp at alumni.caltech.edu>

Hi Dave-

I think that's bad advice. If an idea won't hold up to scrutiny during
development, a researcher is likely to waste a lot of time with it. Most of

the best new ideas in science are at least modified during development due

to input from others. If Larry (or anybody else) gets a serious objection
posed to his methodology (such as "you can't compare intensities where the

data is saturated), he at least has an opportunity to create a better test.

Without feedback, that chance is lost, and the work proceeds with faulty
input from early on. To treat such objections as some kind of personal
attack makes no sense.

Certainly, there's nothing remotely scientific about "stick[ing] with your

beliefs" in the face of evidence to the contrary. That's pretty much the
definition of pseudoscience.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory