(meteorobs) Repost- Clear evidence for Meteoroidejecta/outgassing.

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Mon Sep 14 12:41:18 EDT 2009

Chris Peterson wrote:
> Hi Dave-
>
> I think that's bad advice. If an idea won't hold up to scrutiny during
> development, a researcher is likely to waste a lot of time with it. Most of
> the best new ideas in science are at least modified during development due
> to input from others. If Larry (or anybody else) gets a serious objection
> posed to his methodology (such as "you can't compare intensities where the
> data is saturated), he at least has an opportunity to create a better test.
> Without feedback, that chance is lost, and the work proceeds with faulty
> input from early on. To treat such objections as some kind of personal
> attack makes no sense.
>
> Certainly, there's nothing remotely scientific about "stick[ing] with your
> beliefs" in the face of evidence to the contrary. That's pretty much the
> definition of pseudoscience.
>
> Chris

Well, I don't know about Larry's "clear evidence" in this particular
case but I would encourage him to carry on with his monitoring.

I do think there are physical properties and phenomena still to be
discovered in these realms. My own daily/nightly meteor monitoring
includes video and various radio frequencies including extremely low
frequency. At this point I think there is the ablation aspect but I also
think there are certain sorts of electrical discharges from some meteors
that are separate from ablation, perhaps something akin to a
piezoelectrical effect.  The electrical discharges may not be apparent
in the visual light spectrum of photos and video but may be apparent at
other parts of the radiation spectrum.

More long term monitoring needed.

Thomas Ashcraft
New Mexico