(meteorobs) Repost- Clear evidence for Meteoroid ejecta/outgassing.

Pat pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 08:01:36 EDT 2009

I agree researchers should not ignore evidence that refutes a position. But the pictures Marco and Koen have linked to do not look like the one in question. Only one of the photos they link to shows "jetting", and even that one shows a portion of the train being blown (dispersed) as opposed to the discrete disruptions in question.
Even the Northern Lights (high altitude ion trails) show more of a blown dispersal...I know many will say "not the same"...beat you to it. But it seems the wind blown proponents are ignoring evidence also.

After listening to Chris and doing my own calculations...I don't see how it could be outgassing or jetting of material. I also don't believe it is winds blowning an ionized trail. So it is a big mystery to me. I like the Thomas explaination of some electrical discharge (like sprites), we do see that phenomena on high altitude aircraft and rockets leaving the atmosphere. But can someone account for the curving effect seen if that is the explaination. Seems like the curving could be just an optical effect if the jets are at off angles to the track, but I think the quickness of the event would not show curving on any length of exposure. I still cannot rule out just a camera effect - such as mist in the air acting like a star filter.

On a side note, I would like to see some meteors tracked on two separate videos to practice some triangulation exercises. I would like to get a better feel for what altitude and speeds meteors produce a visible trail versus a train and try to correlate sizes.