(meteorobs) Repost- Clear evidence for Meteoroidejecta/outgassing.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 17 22:10:32 EDT 2009

It's unclear to me how getting a little closer to a meteor really helps. If
you want to understand train dynamics, you need aperture and fast exposures,
neither of which are practical on an inexpensive balloon. Yes, you might get
some daytime images that would be difficult from the ground, but you're
still very far from the meteors. How does getting 30% closer improve things
much?

What would be more helpful would be a better understanding of mesospheric
winds (ground based radar data) and much higher resolution, high speed
meteor images- which new ground-based equipment is starting to provide.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com