(meteorobs) Repost- Clear evidenceforMeteoroidejecta/outgassing.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 18 00:28:18 EDT 2009

Well, new ways of observing meteors continue to be developed. Many of us now
monitor them from the ground with multiple stations, so it is almost routine
now to have accurate information on the position and velocity of meteors
while in the atmosphere. High speed, high resolution cameras and
spectrographic cameras are increasingly being used to record information not
available just a few years ago. Meteors have been imaged from space (where
the camera is closer to them than any inexpensive balloon platform), and may
be increasingly imaged from above as more and more high resolution, downward
looking cameras come on line. Passive and active radar and VLF receivers are
collecting information as well. Most of these areas are open to amateur
collaboration, and require equipment that can be build with no more effort
or cost than a high altitude camera platform.

Certainly, there is much still to be understood about meteors. I just don't
see what observing with a video camera from a stratospheric platform
provides that can't be accomplished cheaper and easier from the ground.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com