(meteorobs) Re-post attempt. Fireball solution opens 1 door, closes another.

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Fri Sep 18 17:06:47 EDT 2009

I too have had trouble keeping the tumbling and outjetting concept together.
Details in the picture were both for it and against it. Tumbling "seemed" to
be the CLOSEST solution in solving both upper and lower stream curvatures &
the apparent periodic nature of emissions from this fireball in flight.

Notably smearing is absent at & near the base of the "outjetting" streams.
Smearing should have occured if there was any kind of *oblique tumble during
periods of jetting. (* Needed to account for differing upper and.lower
stream curvatures.).

The same lack of smearing coupled with the apparent stream curvatures in
opposition did not match conventional fireball ablation or other photographs
of timed & composite imaging of events. Forum presented arguments were not
comprehensive enough to solve at the same time, the stream curvatures and
what appears to be descrete ejection or emissions.

So back to square 1.

If the fireball passed through the eye of a strong CCW CIRCULAR high
altitude wind pattern on an oblique angle of approach or recession relative
to the cameras position, the differing plume curvatures could be accounted
for. But still not accounted for is the lack of smearing at the base or
points of stream origin. Each stream appears sharply defined and separated
without significant smear.

Canon appears to be a major part of the answer.

First of all, Canon Mfg. informed me that this camera would take 1 full
frame capture every 30 seconds in timed shootings. A 2 minute time shot
would contain 4 full frame electronic captures. Trivia--I also read that it
takes 1 frame(part?) every 15 seconds which I believe meant combined to
produce 1 full frame image in 30 seconds.

The time period of most fireballs that we record like this would probably be
about 5 to 7 seconds. The contrast and sharpness of this fireball compared
to the star field suggests it occured at or near the end of the last(4th) 30
second full frame electronic capture.

Results of checking the Canon 20D specifications:

The 20D has a very special IR filter and processing which makes all of its
photographs look the same as it would actually look through a human eye!
This CMOS camera HEAVILY filters out IR and as I read it, UV wavelengths
too, so that it records only the narrow band of VISIBLE light. Herein is the
problem!

The heat smears we normally would expect to see from a fireball composite or
timed photograph WILL NOT BE PRESENT. This also accounts for the extreme
sharpness and resolution right down to the needle-like tail on the fireball.

I do not know if we can be certain on the size(mass) of this fireball
especially since this camera apparently was sold with a 55mm lens.

Now guess where I am going........... Either this fireball zipped down on an
oblique angle after "lingering" in a circular wind stream for a few
seconds..... :-}

Or..... it zipped down tumbling on an oblique angle relative to the camera.

Without the IR it will be difficult to decide on outgassing, ejecta, normal
ablation, or tumble.........

Larry -YCSentinel