(meteorobs) Final Report on fireball.

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Wed Sep 23 02:19:46 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Peterson" <clp at alumni.caltech.edu>
To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum" <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: 2009/09/22 21:26
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Final Report on fireball.

------I am skilled enough to argue that. -Larry

>> First of all, Canon Mfg. informed me that this camera would take 1 full
>> frame capture every 30 seconds in timed shootings. A 2 minute time shot
>> would contain 4 full frame electronic captures.
>
> This is not correct; you have misunderstood the camera operation. The
> camera
> is perfectly capable of taking a single 2-minute exposure, and the EXIF
> header in the file leaves no doubt that it did so in this case. The
> 30-second limitation is merely the longest internally timed exposure that
> is
> possible. In the bulb position, with an external release or the standard
> Canon remote control, there is no time limit. This image is a true
> 2-minute,
> single exposure.

----Chris with all due respect, I was aware of both types of timing.
BUT....he had to be using the internal time mode. It is also implied in his
comment below. Besides....WHO would stand there for 3 hours operating the
shutter control every two minutes for a total of 90 times in bulb
control?.....especially since he could just let the camera do it
automatically with the same results while he observed through the LX200 and
made drive corrections? -Larry

"I set my camera up piggybacked on my LX200R to take 2 minute shots for
several hours. When I was searching thru the photos, I noticed that I was
able to catch several dim meteors. Then the second to the last shot before
sunrise made my jaw drop!"

>> The time period of most fireballs that we record like this would probably
>> be
>> about 5 to 7 seconds.
>
> In fact, using the same geometric calculations mentioned above, it is easy
> to determine that the meteor duration was 2-3 seconds. This is also
> consistent with typical fireball durations for fast meteoroid streams. A
> 5-7
> second duration would require a much shallower path, and would be unusual
> for a 66 km/s stream. Such long events usually suggest a much slower, more
> massive body.

----Again, I cannot argue your conclusions. But I instinctively shy away
from rigid conclusions based on it being from a specific radiant without any
chance it could be a SPO or that the estimates could not contain
error...... -Larry

>> The heat smears we normally would expect to see from a fireball composite
>> or
>> timed photograph WILL NOT BE PRESENT.
>
> I've read a lot of papers about meteors, and I've never encountered this
> concept of "heat smear". Could you please explain what you mean by the
> term?
>
> Chris

----CCD & CMOS substrate response to IR wavelengths. (bloom.), "AKA heat
smear" or a blooming which washes(saturates) an image of visible light
detail. :-) -Larry