(meteorobs) Asteroid (12171) Johannink

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Fri Apr 2 14:47:07 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Another Dutch meteor observer has been immortalized in the sky:

Asteroid naming citation from MPC 69492 (30 maart 2010):

(12171) Johannink = 2382 T-3
     Discovered 1977 Oct. 16 by C. J. van Houten and I. van Houten-Groeneveld
on Palomar Schmidt plates taken by T. Gehrels.
Carl F. Johannink (b. 1959) is a Dutch high-school teacher and amateur
astronomer. His main interests lie in meteor astronomy. He is a very prolific
meteor observer, active within the Dutch Meteor Society. The name was suggested
by K. Miskotte.

Carl is one of the current editors of the DMS on-line journal eRadiant. He
observes since the late seventies and participated in several observing
expeditions to China, Spain, France, Portugal, and Switzerland (an untimely
accident prevented him from adding the 2001 expedition to the USA to that list).

Very enthousiastic and a mentor to various other active (or once active)
observers like Koen Miskotte and me, he deserves this honour!

- Marco Langbroek & Koen Miskotte

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)