(meteorobs) Some radio data here - Re: April 9th Fireball

James Beauchamp ok113cmdr at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 23:40:52 EDT 2010

As you guys know, I've got a receiver running 24/7 with spectral capture images saving every two minutes.  It's an extremely sensitive setup.  I see almost every satellite and some extensive meteor spectrums.  I've even caught some really big vaporizing objects too.

On the off chance this was big enough to have "children" objects, or big enough to be seen prior to entry interface, I went back to approximately 1955 CDT (00:55 UTC).

Two images look peculair.  The first is a nice, classic meteor hit at around 00:51.  The second one was a ghostly trail a few minutes later, very similar to a large satellite with enough cross section to reflect off-axis energy.  Those tend to have constant amplitude, but linear doppler rate, as they pass through the base spectrum.

I posted both of these images openly in FB.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30606770&l=cb7f47338c&id=1122357299

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30606771&l=c07cf2232e&id=1122357299

Now, the meteor hit could be just coincidental.  Without time tagged data from more than one station or some method of angular rate extrapolation, it just indicates something vaporized somewhere in the radar "fence" visible to OKC.  From about 2 months of observations, this object looks larger than the average meteor because it has a wide-spectrum, persistant trail - but it's a rather small member of the "persistant trail" family I see.    The larger ones exhibit "tendrils" in the spectrum, presumably from fragmented trails at different relative velocity vectors relative to the transmitter and receiver.

The second "ghost" trail is more intriguing.  It could be the ISS or some other large satellite passing over me at an angle that grazes the "fence" beam - riding along a line of "isobeam".  However, the timing is still rather neat.  If it was the ISS, someone might have had a very rare view.  I don't have access to a tracker that could verify.

An even neater thought:  If it was the ISS, if they were free-running the video cameras, they might have caught it from above.

James