(meteorobs) Obs: 17 & 18 April 2010

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at coconet.com
Mon Apr 19 16:37:24 EDT 2010

>I am having increasing difficulty with "clouds" of floaters, which
>was especially obvious when I was looking at the conjunction of
>Venus and Mercury thru binoculars earlier in the month.  I've had
>floaters since I was a teenager, and they have been gradually
>becoming more numerous and now cause problems just doing normal
>things, let alone meteor observing.  I rarely bother to look thru a
>telescope any more because mostly I just see floaters.

Might be a coming retinal detachment.  I would get an eye exam
immediately.  This happened to my late wife in 2004, and I was asleep
at the switch.  From the time she first complained of numerous
floaters, the retina detached only 6 weeks later.

Having a few floaters is normal at any age.  I saw them against the
cobalt sky over Miami when I was only 2, but of course I didn't know
what they were.

Norman