(meteorobs) Off topic - volcanic ash.

Ken bicycle4ever at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 03:53:10 EDT 2010

Ed,  I'll bet the ash fall in Europe is very light, not the quantities that we saw from MSH. MSH and the other Pacific rim volcanoes are of Andesite (as in Andes Mts),  The Iceland volcano is basaltic, mid-ocean ridge basalt (MORB).  I'd expect it to be accordingly darker. Your source may be Iceland or off the deck of a ship.  And interesting question though.  I have a few scoops of MSH and some Toutle River water myself!  Cheers, Ken, Oregon