(meteorobs) Observation June 24/25 2010

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Mon Aug 9 00:42:28 EDT 2010

I made an attempt to hunt for some June Bootids on the evening of June
24th.  I setup at the Pendleton Airport (GGC) and observed for over an
hour near midnight.  It was a comfortable night with few mosquitoes.

The gibbous Moon was high up in the south, and obviously *very*
bright.  I did my best to keep it well away from my field of view, by
facing the northern sky.  The best area of the sky had a maximum
limiting magnitude of 5.00.  With these bright conditions, meteor
activity was very low.  Only a single faint sporadic was seen.  No
June Bootids.  The nice mag -3 ISS pass overhead was just about the
only interesting thing that happened :)

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 24/25 2010
BEGIN: 03:05 UT (23:05 EDT) END: 04:20 UT (00:20 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.092 West; Lat: 45.568 North
Observing site: Pendleton Airport, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
ANT (antihelion)________________________________18:44 (281) -23
JBO (June Bootids)______________________________14:44 (221) +49

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff___LM_____SPO_JBO_ANT

03:05-04:20___13:54 +53___1.21___5.00___1___0___/

Notes: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky
where I centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) Teff is
simply the total time during the observing session spent actually
watching the sky. Breaks and/or dead time are not included in the
reported Teff. It is reported in decimal format such that a 60 minute
observing session would be reported as Teff = 1.00.  The column (LM)
is the average naked eye limiting magnitude seen.  All following
columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.  For
more info, see: http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap2.html
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______0__+1__+2__+3__+4______AVE

SPO___0___0___0___0___1_____+4.00

Notes: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 2 min (break)

Breaks (UT): 3:16-18