(meteorobs) Observation July 11/12 2010

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Mon Aug 9 01:09:24 EDT 2010

On July 11/12, I setup at the site of the FLO (Fred Lossing
Observatory) near Almonte for a few hours of meteor observing into the
morning hours.  Nice night, with few mosquitoes, and above-average
transparency (4/5) for most of the night!  I was impressed at how
nicely maintained the site was, with short grass throughout and an
enlarged observing area.  Had the company of Ivo Leupi, Bryan Black,
Joe Silverman and Dave for most of the night.

I had three solid hours of meteor observing, with the sky reaching mag
6.3 at times.  I got in 26 meteors, most of which are plotted.  The
antihelion source was active in low numbers every hour, while the July
Pegasids and C Andromedids (IMO's video radiants via Bob Lunsford's
weekly updates) were weakly active with some very swift meteors.

All in all, a pleasant night out.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: July 11/12 2010
BEGIN: 03:55 UT (23:55 EDT) END: 07:45 UT (03:45 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 15' 50" West; Lat: 45 15' 2" North  Elevation: 100
ft
City & Province: Almonte, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
ANT (antihelion)________________________________20:04 (301) -19
JPE (July Pegasids)_____________________________23:08 (347) +11
CAN (c-Andromedids)_____________________________02:04 (031) +48
CAP (Alpha Capricornids)________________________19:24 (291) -14

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff___LM_____SPO_ANT_JPE_CAN_CAP

03:55-05:04___18:24 +05___1.00___6.25____3___2___0___1___0
05:04-06:13___19:26 +04___1.12___6.25____6___2___1___0___0
06:37-07:45___21:21 +07___1.08___6.12____8___1___1___1___0

TOTALS:___________________3.675_________17___5___2___2___0 = 26

Notes: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky
where I centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) Teff is
simply the total time during the observing session spent actually
watching the sky. Breaks and/or dead time are not included in the
reported Teff. It is reported in decimal format such that a 60 minute
observing session would be reported as Teff = 1.00.  The column (LM)
is the average naked eye limiting magnitude seen.  All following
columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.  For
more info, see: http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap2.html
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___1___2___5___3___3___3_____+2.82
ANT___1___1___1___0___2___0_____+2.20
JPE___0___0___0___1___1___0_____+3.50
CAN___0___1___0___1___0___0_____+2.00

Notes: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 9 min (breaks)

Breaks (UT): 4:03-04, 4:40-46, 6:13-37, 7:04-06