(meteorobs) Observations 09/10AUG2010 GODWI Coweta, OK

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Tue Aug 10 16:25:56 EDT 2010

Hello Bill,

Nice reports!  I was able to get out for most of last night under a
mag 6.6 sky.  Perseids activity seemed to be a bit slower than
expected (given what I saw last Thursday and Friday nights), but that
could be also just an impression given that the vast majority of the
meteors from last night were very faint (lots of mag +4 and +5's).  No
fireballs were seen.

I certainly took notice of a few Eridanids these past few mornings.
The radiant is very low in the east, so I never see many of these.
Last night also seemed to have an unusually high number of Kappa
Cygnids (all quite faint).

Finally, I neglected mentioning in my reports of Aug 5/6 and 6/7 that
I took notice of two very slow moving meteors, with long paths,
seeming to originate from Bootes.  That large fragmenting earthgrazing
fireball that I saw was one of them.  Although a very small sample,
and my FOV was well away from Bootes (therefore pin-pointing a radiant
wasn't possible).  It just caught my attention as a possible activity
from Bootes in early August, as reported by David Oesper on meteorobs.

Will report more tomorrow...

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario