(meteorobs) Quick Perseid 'Clump' Observation

lunro.imo.usa at cox.net lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Fri Aug 13 09:43:13 EDT 2010

I don't think a year goes by that we don't hear that a meteor shower produces activity in bursts. Rainer Arlt of the IMO has explained several times that this is perfectly normal and should be expected with all major annual showers. Well. what I saw this morning was one of the least clumpy Perseid displays I can recall. Sure there were sudden bursts of 2-3 meteors within a few seconds, but there were very few periods of more than a few minutes where I didn't see a meteor. I would really be worried if 15-20 minutes passed and I didn't see anything! I guess it helps watching under skies with a limiting magnitude of +6.5 or better.

It was a good show this morning highlighted by some more Perseid fireballs. The best was another -7 that shot directly overhead and left a train that nearly lasted a minute. There was a big crowd in the mountains this morning and I heard a lot of oohs and ahhs over that one. The bright, twisting train was impressive and the crowd was buzzing as it changed shape. The Eridanids continued to provide a couple of impressive earthgrazers, this time low in the north. Both were 2nd magnitude and distinctly orange.

I will provide details as soon as I transcribe my tape.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford