(meteorobs) Quick Perseid 'Clump' Observation

Karl Antier karl.antier at laposte.net
Fri Aug 13 09:58:59 EDT 2010

Hi all meteor observers,

Here, from South-Eastern France, clouds vanished around 1h UT last night (12-13/08), and I was thus nearly able to monitor Perseid activity ("nearly" because I was so tired that I fell often asleep while watching at the sky, making it impossible to make a real observing session, sorry...).
Actually, I was a bit disappointed with the activity, as the conditions could hardly be better this year (perfect predicted maximum time, moonless skies), and I thus hoped to have a wonderful show. But activity seemed to me to be quite weaker than the two last years. But rates were quite decent, as I think they would approach 80 Perseids per hour.
I also didn't notice that Perseid appeared in "clumps", althought this trend appeared obvious to me last years. But some bright fireball were observed, one of which appearing very close to the horizon, and which must have been a dramatic show if seen from just under!

> The Eridanids continued to provide a couple of impressive earthgrazers, this time low in the north. Both were 2nd magnitude and distinctly orange.

Bob, as you mentionned this shower, do you have its characteristics? Because during my observations, I spotted numerous very very fast long meteors coming from the East, and I wondered if they could be part of a common source. Are Eridanifds fast moving meteors ?
Thanks in advance for your answer!

Clear skies to all for the end of the show!
Karl

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net