(meteorobs) In the media (was Aug 13 Perseid Observation)

Malcolm J. Currie mjc at star.rl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 20:47:56 EDT 2010

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8gTph8nZA

This video again demonstrates the Perseids near the radiant have short
trails, and become more extended further from the radiant.  Yet I've
lost count the number of graphics I've seen this week with long trails
emanating from within the radiant.  No wonder the public think they
must look at the radiant.

I suppose that's not as bad as saying the shower goes on until the end
of August, and the fastest speed of a meteor is 26 miles/s.

Waiting for dark skies all these years, I've been doing it wrong.
According to the Daily Mail "The perfect conditions for spotting meteors
or meteor showers are a clear night sky giving good visibility and a
half moon which enables bright meteors to shine through".

At least the publicity enabled many more people to see meteors,
although some didn't try because they thought they had to look in
a specific inaccessible direction.

Malcolm Currie