(meteorobs) Is there "the" ZHR profile of the Perseids?

Geert Barentsen geert at barentsen.be
Thu Aug 19 08:53:06 EDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

A "standard" graph of the Perseid ZHR and population index, constructed by
Rainer Arlt and Juergen Rendtel using 20 years of visual data (1988-2008),
is available on page 144 of the new IMO Handbook (
http://www.imo.net/news/handbook ). The 2000-2007 data was also analyzed in
a recent WGN paper ( http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008JIMO...36...68R ).

These graphs show what you describe.
1) the ZHR drops off more rapidly after the peak (this is hard to see in the
online graphs because the Y axis covers ZHR [0,120+], you'd need to plot ZHR
[0,40] to see it)
2) there is a hint of the lowest population index (i.e. brighter meteors)
occuring just before the maximum.

Judging from the plots on Jeremie Vaubaillon's website, it will not be the
last trail encounter...

Geert