(meteorobs) Electrophonic/simultaneous Meteor/Aurora Sounds

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 24 18:51:00 EDT 2010

Hello Groups:
	I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but could we conduct a
survey of visual meteor/aurora observers, on the above lists, to see
if observers have heard simultaneous sounds emitted by meteors or
auroras?  By this, I mean sounds heard while visually observing the
light event at the same time as you heard the associated sound.  Such
sounds have been reported over many years by some observers.  If you
have personally heard these sounds, what were the circumstances?
During my younger years I observed both auroras and meteors but have
never heard any sounds associated with the visual events.  We did
extensive observations of this type throughout IGY in 1957/58 and of
course during other years.  I have an open mind on this topic so this
is of interest to me and others I suspect. I have heard sonic booms
but these have all been delayed sounds. Post to me directly if you
wish or to the list until someone objects.
Ed Majden
Courtenay, B.C. Canada