(meteorobs) Electrophonic/simultaneous Meteor/Aurora Sounds

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Wed Aug 25 04:03:54 EDT 2010

Op 25-8-2010 00:51, Ed Majden schreef:
> Hello Groups:
> 	I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but could we conduct a
> survey of visual meteor/aurora observers, on the above lists, to see
> if observers have heard simultaneous sounds emitted by meteors or
> auroras?  By this, I mean sounds heard while visually observing the
> light event at the same time as you heard the associated sound.  Such
> sounds have been reported over many years by some observers.  If you
> have personally heard these sounds, what were the circumstances?

Hi Ed,

In the summer of 1991 or 1992 (I believe 1991) I observed a fast mag. -3 flaring
sporadic meteor from Puimichel, southern France, and heard a distinct "clack!",
much like the sound you hear with an electric spark, simultaniously with the
flare of this meteor. I was the only one hearing it, others on the field didn't
(but then they were busy astrophotographing....they didn't even see the meteor).

It's the only time I have heard electrophonic sound in all of my observing
career, but it has convinced me the phenomena is real. I was quite surprised,
also because I thought it only happened with very bright bolides.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)