(meteorobs) Electrophonic/simultaneous Meteor/Aurora Sounds

Ernie Iverson ewiverson at consolidated.net
Wed Aug 25 10:56:06 EDT 2010

Hi Ed,

The first meteor shower that I drove out of the city (Los Angeles) to
witness was pretty special.   Unfortunately, I don't remember which shower,
or exactly when it occurred.  I've tried on several occasions to figure this
out, but have always drawn a blank.  It was probably in the early or mid
90's.  I was not interested in the scientific study of meteors at the time,
so I didn't keep any records.  Anyway, there was a significant number of
bright fireballs that produced a hissing noise.  I also remember some of the
fireballs were bright enough to dimly illuminate the ground.  Thinking back
on the experience, and knowing what I know now,  I doubt that any of the
fireballs actually impacted the earth.  I have also heard electrophonic
noises on a couple of other occasions while doing meteor counts.   I use to
count meteors from several dark sights in the Mojave desert north east of
the city.  On a couple of occasions I noted hearing a hissing noise
associated with a bright fireball.  These were rare, isolated events,
nothing like that first shower.  I feel very fortunate and blessed to have
experienced these events.

Ernie Iverson
Lufkin, TX