(meteorobs) Observation September 10/11 2010

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Fri Dec 3 01:19:50 EST 2010

Hello all,

I'm now catching up on my observing reports, for the second half of
the year ;)  September had unusually poor weather here, in general,
but I was still able to get in two decent nights.  October and
November were, on the other hand, much better, allowing lots of
coverage on the dark nights surrounding the New Moon.

Going back to September, I enjoyed a terrific night during a star
party in Algonquin Park, with pristine 7th mag skies overhead.  Most
of the night was spent enjoying it with my 12.5" dobsonian, but I set
aside a couple of hours towards the morning dawn to do meteor
observing.  The session started well, but was unfortunately cut short
with a buildup of fog moving in from the lake.  As a result, I got in
just 45 minutes before calling it quits.  During that time, I recorded
9 meteors, with the brightest being a mag -1 yellow September Perseid
that shot into Taurus, leaving behind a 2 sec train.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE:  September 10/11 2010
BEGIN: 07:15 UT (03:15 EDT) END: 08:00 UT (04:00 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -78.521 West; Lat: 45.573 North
City & Province: Mew Lake, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
STA (South Taurids)_____________________________00:32 (008) +04
SIC (Sept Iota Cassiopeids- IMO video data)_____02:28 (037) +66
SPE (September Epsilon Perseids)________________03:16 (049) +41
NUE (Nu Eridanids - IMO video data)_____________04:40 (070) +03

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)___Teff___LM___SPO_STA_SPE_SIC_NUE

07:15-08:00__0.74___7.00__8___0___1___0___0  =  9

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to the observed periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (TEFF) is the effective observing
time, it is minutes/60. The column (LM) is the average naked eye
limiting magnitude, determined by the triangle star counts method. All
following columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower
observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___0___1___0___0___2___2___3_____+3.63
SPE___1___0___0___0___0___0___0_____-1.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT):  None

Dead time: 0.5 min (plotting)

Breaks (UT): None