(meteorobs) Observation October 5/6 2010

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Fri Dec 3 01:22:27 EST 2010

I went to Bootland Farm early on the evening of October 5, as I was
particularly interested in checking for any October Camelopardalids,
near the predicted peak time.  The sky was very good, with just some
cloudiness low in the south (well away from my field of view, as I
wanted to look to the north).  It was a mild night, about 10C, with a
nice breeze keeping the surroundings dry.

I managed to observe for a little over an hour under ideal conditions,
before the clouds gradually encroached into the northern sky.  For
such a short early evening session, I was impressed at all the
activity!  Not only were the October Camelopardalids weakly active,
but a few early Draconids were seen too!  Even more surprising was the
appearance of four Delta Aurigids (DAU), coming out of a very low
radiant in the north-east!  The first DAU was seen at 9:11pm EDT and
it was an impressive mag +3 earthgrazer rapidly traversing 70 degrees
of the sky!  The brightest meteor of the session was a mag -1 yellow-
white sporadic at 9:33pm.

I wish the clouds would have stayed away a little longer ;)

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: October 5/6 2010
BEGIN: 00:55 UT (20:55 EDT) END: 02:10 UT (22:10 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 45 23' North
Observing site: Bootland Farm, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position

GIA (Draconids)_________________________________17:28 (262) +56
EPC (October Epsilon Piscids - IMO video data)__00:05 (002) +14
STA (South Taurids)_____________________________01:46 (026) +08
ORI (Orionids)__________________________________05:28 (082) +16
OCT (October Camelopardalids)___________________11:13 (110) +79
DAU (Delta Aurigids)____________________________05:56 (089) +49

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)___Teff___LM____SPO_OCT_GIA_STA_ORI_EPC_DAU

00:55-02:10__1.19___6.35___7___2___3___3___/___0___4  =  19

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to the observed periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (TEFF) is the effective observing
time, it is minutes/60. The column (LM) is the average naked eye
limiting magnitude, determined by the triangle star counts method. All
following columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower
observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___1___0___0___0___0___5___1_____+3.43
DAU___0___0___1___0___1___1___1_____+3.25
GIA___0___0___0___0___2___0___1_____+3.66
STA___0___0___1___0___0___2___0_____+3.00
OCT___0___0___1___1___0___0___0_____+1.50

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT):  None

Dead time: 0.33 min (break) + 3.5 min (plotting) = 3.83 min

Breaks (UT): 1:38 (20 sec)