(meteorobs) Casual View of Geminids from Stafford, Virginia - DEC 13/14

suejam1 at juno.com suejam1 at juno.com
Tue Dec 14 20:41:56 EST 2010

This week I have certainly noticed  it has been "brutally" cold across both Europe and North America as the Arctic Express has moved in with full force!

There  was only a partially clear for Geminid Max. night, right up until daybreak this morning.  I did manage to see a faint (4th magnitude) Geminid between 0802-0817 UT while viewing through the sliding glass doors of our kitchen area.  Then at 1002 UT, I saw a brighter Geminid (1st magnitude and yellow) looking out again through the sliding glass doors again.  May try and peek out some again tonight, before heading off to bed.  Trying to fight off a cold or else I would plan a watch for a few hours after moonset.  From what I remember from viewing the Geminids in the 1970's and 80's, the follow on night sometimes produced some very interesting brighter Geminids.  Regardless, it is nice to read the reports on this forum from others around our planet!

In Astronomical Affinity - Felix Martinez (Stafford, VA)