(meteorobs) Geminids from the Low Countries

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 05:38:57 EST 2010

List,

Thank you for sharing all the Geminid experiences on this list; I think that this shower becomes more popular for the big public!

Some news about the Geminid campaign from the Low Countries (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg).

A massive high pressure system above the UK brought us some clear skies, despite the brutal winter cold. At the end of December 11-12 I was able to observe for 2,33 hours before dawn; no impressive rates so far...
December 12-13 was totally clear above the low contries.  Rates were rising till ~50 Geminids/ hour.
December 13-14 was a bit more difficult with a smal low pressure systeme moving in from the north with some freezing rain (west) and snowfall (east). Again; clear spells moved in after this system bringing some Dutch meteor observers a nearly totally clear session after midnight local time. Here in the south; clouds were always nearby but I also enjoyed some long crystal clear periods with a very impressive shower as usual. Rates topped above 100 meteors / hour. Many weak meteors dominated the show, but some fireballs were also seen.
Also December 14-15 presented a couple of clear hours till clouds moved in from the north. The shower was still impressive with many bright meteors and some fireballs; after 2 UT its activity decreased... Also yesterday evening (december 15) a Belgian observer witnessed a bright Geminid fireball; what a beautiful end of a great Geminid campaign from the Low Countries!

There is a lot of visual data, video and all sky pictures from the Netherlands, radio data on rmob.org. The visual data will be send to the IMO.

Long trains,

Michel Vandeputte
Belgium