(meteorobs) Geminids peak from Wales plus photos and annimation

LEO STACHOWICZ l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 21 18:13:39 EST 2010

Hi all,

This year I observed the Geminids from The Elan Valley in Wales along with my girlfriend. I kept count of the meteors from the time we had set up the cameras (about 1UT on the 14th) till around 7UT.

We were clouded out for about an hour, mid way into the observing session, but I managed to tot up 484 meteors (including sporadics and members of other showers) by the end of the night including 2 or 3 Geminid fireballs that were around -4 to -5 mag, and a -8 mag sporadic fireball which flared multiple times

A slightly more detailed account, as well as some photos, and an animation of a persistent train that one bright Geminid left behind can be found here:

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40439&posts=12&start=1

I noticed that the brightest part of the train does not coincide with the brightest part of the meteor in the animation. Perhaps someone could shed a little light on what might be going on there?

Clear skies,
Leo