(meteorobs) Meteoritical craters from satellite

Robert Warren cometman_75 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:23:56 EST 2010

The official name is Meteor Crater, as defined and named by the U. S. Bureau of Geographical Nomenclature.  The Meteoritical Society has tried several times since the 1950's to name the structure "Barringer Crater" but the Bureau say no because it has been called that, and is named as such on all geological, and topographical charts since the 1940's.  The name "Meteor Crater" is not a misnomer because of the use of the word Meteor.  In fact that name follows the standard world wide naming convention for meteorites.  In 1907, when Herman L. Fairchild first called the structure "Meteor Crater" he was using the name of the nearest U. S. Post Office, called Meteor, Arizona,  which at the time, was around 6 miles north of the crater.  Today the site of the Meteor, Arizona Post Office is found on ma[ps as the Sunshine Stop or Station on the BNSF railroad.  In 1908, George P. Merrill picked up on it.  For a short time during the late 30's to early 40's, a Dorsey Hager ( petroleum geologist) convinced the Bureau to call it Crater Mound.  But as many believers in the impact theory of origin, it is neither a mound, nor a crater on a mound.  So the Bureau changed the name back to Meteor Crater.  According to there website, they have no inttention of changing the name anytime soon.  So again the Correct Name is "Meteor Crater".

Robert Warren