(meteorobs) A strange meteor

Mikhail Maslov ast3 at ngs.ru
Sun Feb 7 10:43:57 EST 2010

JP> I take that back (sort of): there are reference points. After carefully
JP> cleaning my monitor screen with a wipe--and my eyes with a cup of coffee--I
JP> was able to see a somewhat odd, nearly Megrez-less Ursa Major. And
JP> re-looking at the 'falling' object, I see now that it's very yet another
JP> lame attempt at a computer-generated meteor. Sigh...

JP> Having said that, though, I'll say this again: I have definitely seen my
JP> share of REAL meteors that both looked and behaved much the same way as the
JP> object in the video...so I guess the pranksters are getting a little better
JP> each time. :)

This meteor was captured by my camera, so it's certainly not a fake
:). And yes, the Ursa Major is seen quite well, so reference picture
is present. But I also decided to upload the track image with much
fainter stars:
http://rapidshare.de/files/49117065/CVBS__100123__m09_down.jpg.html

This obsect travels notably faster than satellites, so it is
probably a very long graser. However, a reentering artificial object
should be closer and should have higher speed than satellites orbiting
above the atmosphere, so I'd not exclude this possibility too.

Best regards, Mikhail