(meteorobs) Our friend, Eric Flescher

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 18:41:34 EST 2010

I received this from the SEML (Solar Eclipse Mailing List) this  afternoon.
As many who have been meteorobs members for a good number of years
are aware, Eric would occasionally post his meteor observations on
our list.  I thought it appropriate to post this.  -- joe  rao

This is Rick Brown. As I take a moment away from the emails regarding our
2010 TSE EFLIGHT, I wanted to inform the group of the following...
Eric  Flescher (__kcstarguy at aol._kc_ (mailto:_kcstarguy at aol.com) _
(mailto:_kcstarguy at aol.kcs_ (mailto:kcstarguy at aol.com) ) ) was part
of  my group for TSE 2009 in China, where he became good pals with 90 of us
on  the tour. In early November, he somehow contracted Meningitis. He has
been  in a coma ever since. He has been part of the SEML for many, many
years.
I  received this post from his wife, who has been keeping many of us
informed  of his  condition...

---------
>From  his wife..."It has been a while since I last wrote and there have
been
a  great many changes. It was important to have the family up to date
before  posting anything. Eric has made one last move to hospice house here
in
Kansas City, MO where he will be made comfortable and live his final days.
Hospice House has been an amazing place, providing comfort, solace, and
support to both Eric and his family.

Through this whole ordeal, we  had hoped for a better outcome and were so
optimistic. When the big changes  we had hoped for had not happened, we had
looked at the results of a number  of tests to determine whether there was
any hope for recovery, and we were  devastated to find that his chances
were
none and that the damage to his  brain had been too great. It will be a
matter of time now and with all that  he has been through, he deserves the
dignity and peacefulnesss that hospice  care provides. Hard as it is to
accept, it
has been comforting to see him  comfortable at long last. He had felt so
horribly for so long.

We  have appreciated the notes, the calls, the offers of support and more
that  have come from the community here in Kansas. For those that have
wanted
to  know what they can do for Eric, you can come here to Hospice House and
visit  him, visit me, and all that would be a great comfort at this time.
The other  thing one can do is remember his life; how he loves the night
sky,
the  comets, the storms he chased, the total solar eclipses, his
carnivorous
plants, the hummingbirds, his recipes, and the friends he has made along
the way. For all of you are important to him.
I am also thankful for his  family; his mother, his children, his siblings,
my children, who have all  been there for both of us. "