(meteorobs) satellite question

Mike Hankey mike.hankey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:27:05 EST 2010

Hello Observers,

I have a question about something I noticed in a series of pictures I
took during the Geminids.

Basically I have what looks to be a small flare, (2-3x bigger than a
star, but still very small). The flare is present and moving in a
series of 40 pictures (30 second exposures each) that span 20 minutes
total. The flare is not visible in every picture but it is visible in
2 or 3 in a row, then not visible for 5 pictures, then shows up again.
It seems to clearly be moving in a linear fashion towards the horizon
against the star trails.

The only explanation I can come up with is that its a satellite (maybe
a tumbling one), but to me it seems to be moving far to slow to be a
satellite as it takes 20 minutes to traverse the field of view of the
camera. Most satellite streaks I have captured usually last 1 or 2
frames max (30-60 seconds).

Are there slower moving satellites that could be present in a single
field of view for a 20 minute time frame? I checked calsky and didn't
really see satellites that would appear in the same part of the sky
for more than a minute or two.

Thanks,

Mike