(meteorobs) satellite question

Mike Hankey mike.hankey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 23:50:59 EST 2010

Hello,

Here are the pictures of the satellite I was asking about earlier today:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/satellite-astrophoto1.jpg
http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/satellite-astrophoto2.jpg
http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/satellite-astrophoto3.jpg

I looked in calsky but didn't see any matches for this
date/time/location/direction that stayed around for more than 2
minutes.

Thanks,

Mike

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Mike Hankey <mike.hankey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris and Marco,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. The camera was not tracking and it was
> pointed south. The objected moved approximately between 45 and 35
> degrees altitude / 130 degrees azimuth. I will post a few pictures
> later tonight. I'm fairly certain its some sort of satellite I was
> just under the impression satellites moved faster than this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Chris Peterson <clp at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Actually, I was referring to geosynchronous satellites, not geostationary. I
>> assumed his camera wasn't tracking, so he shouldn't see any movement at all
>> in geostats. Of course, if the camera _was_ tracking than both geosync and
>> geostat satellites will appear to move slowly.
>>
>> Chris

>> Chris L Peterson
>> Cloudbait Observatory
>> http://www.cloudbait.com

>>> this. They make approximately 2 orbit revolutions a day, and near their
>>> apogeum
>>> linger on in a small area of the sky for hours.
>>>
>>> You didn't mention your FOV, but a typical HEO near apogeum moves no more
>>> than
>>> 0.1 degree/minute. At apogeum, they can be at very high declinations north
>>> or